Weird <span class="highlight">Solar</span> <span class="highlight">Panel</span> Problem

Hello,

I've got a real old coaster bus, and I put a 120w and a 20w solar panel on the roof just for lights and junk (its got a gas fridge).
A while back I wasn't getting much current through to the batteries unless I bypassed the regulator, then the batteries would get heaps of current (they were by no means full, voltage at like 12.6 so the regulator wasn't stopping the current).
So I got a new regulator and I thought the problem was solved. But now it's happening again.
I get current from the 20w panel fine, but the 120w panel won't put out any current until I test the short circuit current on it for a while.
After I've short circuited it for about 10 seconds it starts pumping out amps like normal, then after 20mins or so it stops putting out amps again unless I short circuit test it again, then it starts working for a while, then stops.

That is heaps weird... Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

I'm stumped...

I really have no idea, maybe there isn't a flow of electrons getting back to the panel somehow?? So when I short circuit it it gets some to it to pump back out again? (I don't think thats the answer but I've got no idea)

Any help would be appreciated, I'll take the panel off when I've got a bit of free time and have a play with it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 21:16

Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 21:16
Scrapchin.
Sounds like your regulator is to small for the job and is overheating and shutting down, when you bypass it cools down. Eric.
AnswerID: 497812

Follow Up By: Scrapchin - Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 22:58

Friday, Nov 02, 2012 at 22:58
I don't think that could be it, I upgraded to a 30 Amp regulator with the second one and I don't think I could get that many amps out of 140w of panels. I usually only get around 6 amps (I'm a bit suspicious about this '120w' panel off eBay)
FollowupID: 773679

Follow Up By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 06:01

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 06:01
Check the big panel doesn't have an inbuilt reg in the box on the back
FollowupID: 773685

Reply By: Member - Bucky - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 06:26

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 06:26
Scrapchin

Read these threads I put up some time back.
There may be something there that may help you !

Click here
AnswerID: 497822

Reply By: Battery Value - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:09

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:09
You've got an intermittent fault either inside the 120W panel, or more likely in its wiring.

open the junction box
look for loose wire connections
measure the short circuit current directly at the terminals
try to flex/warp the panel a bit to test for inconsistencies in the short circuit current
if that's inconclusive, the fault is in the wiring/connectors
attach the ammeter at the regulator end of the wires and wiggle one section after another of the wiring and look for current fluctuations

good luck
AnswerID: 497831

Follow Up By: Scrapchin - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 14:30

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 14:30
The bloody thing stopped not working and is now fine...
I shouldn't complain but it makes it hard to figure out what it was...

I tried wiggling a few wires up there, not many to wiggle really, just two going straight to the regulator with no effect.

I think you are right and it must have just been a loose wire somewhere.

Thanks for the help
FollowupID: 773804

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:15

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:15
The fact that the big panel can be forced to work ok means that all of its cells are probably ok. Somewhere though I think you have a bad connection which is effectively being temporarily welded together by the short circuit current, then letting go again after a time.

Your panel almost certainly consists of two series strings of cells, the 2 strings then wired in parallel. A fault within one string would halve the panel's output, not drop it to zero, which suggests that the faulty connection is not within the cell array.

The two strings of cells will be brought together and paralleled in a junction box on the panel. I'd suggest have a very careful look at all connections between that terminal box and your controller. From what you say, I think that fitting the new controller did fix the problem for a while (?) in which case the dicey connection is probably close to the controller.

BTW - the benefits of having the controller close to the battery, rather that at the panel end of the wire is discussed in the links Bucky gave. It really is much better to have the controller close to the battery.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 497832

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:19

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 08:19
I must learn to type faster !! So often someone else comes in and says the same thing (usually better) while I'm generating words.

Good to hear from you Peter - it's been a while!

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 773695

Follow Up By: Battery Value - Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 09:34

Saturday, Nov 03, 2012 at 09:34
but it's nice to see you're trying John - grin cheers
FollowupID: 773704

Reply By: jlAU (SA) - Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 08:57

Sunday, Nov 04, 2012 at 08:57
Sounds like your 120 panel has built in regulator. I had the similar problem and had to bypass their built in regulator because my new DC to DC regulator would only kick in until it received more than 17.4v from panels which wont happen with inbuilt regulator. I by passed built in regulator using a switch (therefore giving it unregulated 21v output) With the switch I could still use panels without new regulator.
jl
AnswerID: 497878

Sponsored Links